Never underestimate the influence of middle management
Middle managers directly impact staff engagement.
An effective middle manager is one of your most important channels, because they:
- drive engagement
- influence their team’s perception of your brand
- cascade communications downwards.
It’s critical to ensure your middle managers are trained to be better communicators.
How we did this at Nedbank
Following feedback from a staff survey at Nedbank Retail, our job was to develop a solution to improve middle management communication skills. We ran a two-day workshop customised to address NedbankÕs challenges, culture and communication environment.
The goal was for managers to communicate with their staff in a way that
- promoted more engagement with their and Nedbank
- enabled higher levels of performance, client satisfaction and retention.
- Within months of completing the training, overall feedback from the 75 workshop participants’ employees indicated that line manager communication had improved Ð directly contributing to engagement scores within the bank.
- Based on the post workshop feedback, training was well received, and participants commented positively on the experience-based, interactive approach to the learning, indicating they had learnt a lot more than they expected from a ‘communication course’, the feedback being that the learnings will help them do their jobs better.